Admission to MBBS / BDS 2010-11 Medical and Dental Colleges of Punjab: Frequently Asked Questions: University of Health Sciences UHS Lahore Pakistan
ADMISSION IN GOVERNMENT MEDICAL AND DENTAL COLLEGES OF THE PUNJAB
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This section contains general information about the admission process for the benefit of students and their parents. This is based on the rules and regulations contained in the Prospectus of Session 2009-10. The admission policy is revised on yearly basis to update changes after the approval of the Government of the Punjab. Therefore, the information given below may or may not apply on admission process of current or future sessions.
- Q: What is the required qualification for admission?
Ans: For admission to a medical / dental college, a candidate must have passed FSc (Pre-Medical), Higher Secondary School Certificates (HSSC), Higher School Certificate (HSC), 12thGrade or equivalent examination with a minimum of 65 per cent (715/1100) marks. Candidates having higher qualifications are not given any preference.
- Q: How many public sector medical and dental colleges are there in Punjab?
Ans: There are 14 public sector medical and dental colleges in Punjab which offer MBBS and BDS courses respectively. These colleges include:
- King Edward Medical University, Lahore.
- Allama Iqbal Medical Colleges, Lahore.
- Fatima Jinnah Medical Colleges (for women), Lahore.
- Nishtar Medical College, Multan.
- Services Institute of Medical Sciences, Lahore.
- Punjab Medical College, Faisalabad.
- Rawalpindi Medical College, Rawalpindi
- Quaid-e-Azam Medical College, Bahawalpur.
- Sheikh Zayed Medical College, Rahim Yar Khan.
- Sargodha Medical College, Sargodha.
- Nawaz Sharif Medical College, Gujrat.
- de’Montmorency College of Dentistry, Lahore.
- Nishtar Institute of Dentistry, Multan.
- Dental Section, Punjab Medical College, Faisalabad.
All these medical and dental colleges, except King Edward Medical University Lahore, are affiliated with University of Health Sciences, Lahore.
- Q: Is there a centralized process of admissions into medical and dental colleges? Which organization carries out these admissions?
Ans: Yes, there is a centralized process of admission into medical and dental colleges of the Punjab. University of Health Sciences, on behalf of the Government of the Punjab, carries out the process of admission.
- Q: When does the admission process starts?
Ans: The admission process starts in the third week of August every year with an advertisement in the national press.
- Q: Is there any Entrance Test for admissions?
Ans: Yes, there is a mandatory Entrance Test, conducted by University of Health Sciences Lahore, every year in the month of September. Passing this Entrance Test, with a minimum score of 40 per cent (440/1100) marks, is mandatory for admission into any public or private medical or dental college.
- Q: What is the format of Entrance Test?
Ans: Medical Entrance Test is a standardized, objective type test, consisting of 220 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs). The division of these questions in the paper is as follows:
- Time allowed for the test is 2Â½ hours (150 minutes). Maximum marks of the test are 1100 i.e., each question carries 05 marks.
- Q: Is there Negative Marking in the Entrance Test?
Ans: Yes, there is Negative Marking in the Entrance Test. Each correct answer carries 05 marks, however, one mark is deducted from the total score on each wrong answer.
- Q: What is the syllabus of Entrance Test?
Ans: The standard of the questions of the Entrance Test is that of intermediate (Pre Medical) level. All the questions are from prescribed textbooks except for English section which is designed to check general proficiency of the candidate in the language.
- Q: What is the validity period of Entrance Test scores?
Ans: Entrance Test scores are valid for one year only. If you want to get admission is 2010, you will have to pass the Entrance Test of 2010. Entrance Test scores of previous years are not considered for admissions in current session.
- Q: What is the eligibility criterion for admissions on open merit seats?
i- A candidate must have passed the FSc (Pre-Medical) or equivalent examination with a minimum of 65 per cent (715/1100) marks.
ii-A candidate must have a domicile of any district of the province of Punjab, or Federal Capital Area (Islamabad)
- Q: What are the essential documents required to apply for the admission?
(i) -Detailed Mark Certificate of FSc (Pre-Medical).
Equivalence Certificate issued by IBBS only (in case the candidate has passed examination other than FSc).
(ii) – Domicile Certificate. This is the most important document which is mandatory for admission against open merit seats. Candidates are advised to get their domicile well before the process of admission starts, from their respective District Coordination Officers. Birth Certificates, domicile of parents or any other documents are not acceptable in lieu of domicile certificate of the candidate.
- Q: Which are the Centres of Entrance Test?
Ans: Entrance Test is conducted simultaneously at 12 major cities of the province:
- Rahim Yar Khan
- D.G. Khan
The candidate has to mention, on his/her application form, the city from where he/she wishes to appear in the Entrance Test. Centre is allotted by the University of Health Sciences Lahore.
- Q: What is the process of admissions?
- i.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â First an eligible candidate has to apply for Entrance Test on prescribed application form.
- ii.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â After the Entrance Test, a merit list is prepared of all the candidates who have passed the test.
- iii.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â The merit is worked out as under:
(a) Weightage of FSc or equivalent examination marks = 70%
(b) Weightage of Entrance Test marks = 30%
- iv.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â According to this merit list, top 2700 candidates are eligible to apply for admissions into medical and dental colleges of the province.
- v.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â After verification of the documents of these candidates, University of Health Sciences displays the selection list of the candidates to be admitted according to the number of seats available.
- Q: How the merit is calculated?
Ans: The formula for the calculation of merit is as follows:
A x 0.70 + B x 030 = C
A = FSc or equivalent examination marks
B = Entrance Test marks.
C = Aggregate marks
FSc or equivalent marks = 944 / 1100
Entrance Test marks = 925 / 1100
Apply the formula:
944 x 0.70 + 925 x 0.30 = 938.3
Aggregate marks = 938.3 / 1100
Aggregate percentage which decides the merit position
= 938.3 x 100/1100 = 85.3000
- Q: I have done A-level or 12th Grade. How can I get my equivalence?
Ans: There is a body called Inter Board Committee of Chairman, which recognizes and gives equivalence to candidates who have passed A-Level or 12th Grade or any other examination equivalent toÂ FSc (Pre-Medical). It is the responsibility of the candidates to settle their cases with IBCC and should get their equivalence certificate from IBCC, Islamabad only for recognition of their qualifications. University of Health Sciences Lahore does not accept any other documents, except the EQUIVALENCE CERTIFICATE issued by the IBCC only, for admission to any medical or dental college.
For further information, you should contact:
Inter- Board Committee of Chairman,
At FBISE Building,
H-8/4 Islamabad, Pakistan
- Q: I am a foreign student having dual nationality. How can I get admission against foreign seats reserved under Pakistan Technical Assistance Programme (PTAP)?
Ans: Admissions against these seats are carried out by Economic Affairs Division, Government of Pakistan, Islamabad. You are advised to contact:
Mr. Mirza Khalid Mahmood
Economic Affairs Division,
Room No.505, Block-C,
Pakistan Secretariat, Islamabad.
- Q: I am a foreign national having dual nationality. How can I get admission against self finance seats?
Ans: Admissions against these seats are carried out by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan. You are advised to contact:
Mr. Asfand Yar Khan
Assistant Director (Academics)
Higher Education Commission of Pakistan
Sector H-9, Islamabad, Pakistan
Tel: 092-51-90402119, 90402124
- Q: How can I get prospectus and admission form?
Ans: Admissions start in the third week of August with an advertisement given in national press. You can get prospectus and admission kit from University of Health Sciences Lahore or any other public sector medical or dental colleges of the province. Online registration for Entrance Test is not available.
- Q: I do not belong to Punjab. Can I get admission in any medical / dental college of the Punjab?
Ans: Only candidates having domicile of Punjab are eligible to apply for admission againstÂ open merit seats in public sector medical and dental colleges of the Punjab. However, there are seats reserved for candidate of FATA, Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Northern Areas and candidates from other three provinces. For admission against these reserved seats, the candidates have to apply through their respective provincial government and nominations boards. They cannot apply directly to University of Health Sciences Lahore.
- Q: I am an Overseas Pakistani. Can I apply for admission against seats reserved for foreign candidates?
Ans: No. If you donâ€™t have the foreign nationality of the country you are living in, you cannot apply for admission against seats reserved for foreign candidates. You can apply on open merit seats if you have a domicile of any district of Punjab.
- Q: What is the total number of seats in medical colleges of the Punjab?
Ans: There are 1961 open merit MBBS seats in 11 public sector medical colleges of the province (Session 2009-10 Figures).
- Q: What is the total number of BDS seats in dental colleges of the Punjab?
Ans: There are 175 open merit BDS seats in 03 public sector dental colleges of the province (Session 2009-10 Figures).
- Q: What was the last merit of MBBS and BDS?
Ans: The last merit of MBBS in Session 2009-10 was 82.6000 (Aggregate Percentage) and that of BDS 82.2000 (Aggregate Percentage).