History of King Edward Medical University (KEMU) or King Edward Medical College KEMC, Lahore (Page 12)
During the year 1951, Professor Mahboob Rabbani was retired from service and was succeeded by Professor Abdul Hameed Khan.
The number of students on College Rolls rose to 153 in 1951-58. The construction work on the new Hostels for men and women students were completed .After October, 1958 Administrators were appointed in the various medical colleges, King Edward Medical College being no exception.
Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer remained Principal of the College from June 1959 to June 1966. This was very eventful period during which as already mentioned a solid foundation was made for postgraduate studies and research. Various medical and surgical specialties were created.
It was largely due to the foresight of Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer as Principal of the College that specialty Departments were created one after the other and their development was encouraged. it is this feature of King Edward Medical College, Lahore which even today distinguishes it from other teaching institutions. these specialties namely, Orthopedics, Cardiac surgery, urology and Chest surgery on the surgical side and Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases, Cardiology, Dermatology, Paediatrics and Neurology on the medical side were either existing or created during the tenure of Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer as Principal, of the College. The dates of creation of these specialties Department and their brief history is mentioned in the subsequent pages in necessarily and chronological order with a view to highlight each individual department separately.
The year 1965 also saw Indo-Pak war when Senior Clinical teachers played active part in giving expert medical aid to the war causalities.
During the tenure of Professor Riyaz-e-Qadeer Administrators were appointed by the martial Law authorities which had taken over the administration of the country in 1958.
The first Administrator was Lt. Co!. Rafique Ahmed Khan and second was Lt. Co!. Nawab Khan. These Administrators continued from march 1959 to June 1962.
Prof. Abdul Hameed Sheikh
1966 â€“ 1969
During this period Professor Riyaz -e- Qadeer worked as Chairman Academic Council. At the time of the centenary celebrations of the College in 1960 Professor Riyaz -e- Qadeer was the Chairman Academic Council and Lt. Col. Nawab Khan was the Administrator of the College. To meet the shortage of doctors in the country new Medical Colleges were opened. It is a credit it again to the King Edward Medical College that most of the teaching staff of these young institutions was provided by the Alumni of this College.
Consequently much of the financial resources had to be diverted to these newer institutions and this adversely affected the pace of development of the Mother Institution, King Edward Medical College.
Professor Abdul Hameed Sheikh, Professor of Pathology took over the charge of the office of Principal in June 1966 and continued until July 1969.The main achievement during this period was the construction of a building to house the institute of Experimental Medicine and an animal house. This was to facilitate animal experiments of the undergraduates and postgraduates as well as to meet the needs of the Pathology Department. The facility also helped the teachers and postgraduates to conduct basic research in the College campus.
Prof. Sardar Ali Sheikh July to Nov. 1969, 1971
The subsequent years however saw the housing of the Postgraduate Institute in the building again out of necessity, but certainly at the expense of the purpose for which this building and equipment were put up in the first place.
The College used to experience water shortage, in the summer months particularly leading to interruption of practical and laboratory work. The gardens also suffered due to lack of water supply. However a new tube well was installed in 1968-69 which helped to overcome the problem of water supply both for the laboratory needs and irrigation of gardens.
During this period a lending library was also established, which was a very welcome facility for the undergraduates, especially for those students who could not buy their own books. They could now borrow their text books from the lending library.
More medical journals and magazines were added to the already existing ones which further helped in the academic pursuits of the undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The existing Departments of Pediatrics and Dermatology were improved and two new specialties were added during this period. i.e. Neurology and experimental medicine.
Professor Abdul Hameed Sheikh retired in July 1969 and Professor Sardar Ali Sheikh took over as Principal in the same month. This term was short, four months, he handed over the charge to Professor N.A. Seyal who remained Principal from December 1969 to September 1971.
This period saw a good many development schemes move ahead. These included additions and alterations of six lecture theatres, addition and alternation of back verandah of Pharmacology Department, improvement of electric supply to the Physiology Department, purchase of equipment for the research and experimental medicine departments, purchase of airconditioners for the basic departments. Installation of electron microscope the first of its kind in the country for the Anatomy Department through the Colombo plan and the construction of a new Boys Hostel thus enlarging the scope of accommodation for the increasing number of students.
Note: Information provided here are for general knowledge purpose only. There is no guarantee of accuracy. For up-to-date and accurate information please visit relevant official web site.