History of King Edward Medical University (KEMU) or King Edward Medical College KEMC, Lahore (Page 8)
Government purchased a plot worth Rs.400,000 and earmarked it for the expansion of the college, the principal pressing for a Biochemistry laboratory and a Photographic Department for Pathology. Revision of the teaching terms of the College started in order to economize the students time.
The Anatomy Department encouraged its staff members to engage in more research and postgraduate work, but frequent transfers of the junior teachers and a heavy workload hampered endeavors in this direction. The Department of Pharmacology taught pharmacy, Pharmaceutics and Pharmacology jointly with the University, the Professor of the Department also being the head of the University’s Pharmaceutical section.
Lt. Col. V.R. Mirajker
The Pathology Department catered to various government and aided hospitals, dispensaries and charitable hospitals in the provinces, which formed the bulk of its work. More local laboratories were being established, but with an increase in both the diagnostic services of the Department and the number of charitable institutions eligible for free service at this laboratory, the examinations carried out, numbered 22, 542 as against 19,053 the previous year. In 1945-46, a full time biochemist was sanctioned to aid the Professor in teaching Chemical Pathology and running the laboratory.
The establishment of a mobile research unit for epidemiological research was sanctioned with effect from the following financial year.
Lt. Col. Harper nelson was succeeded by Lt. Col. T.A. Hughes who remained Principal for only a year and died in 1936. He was succeeded by Lt. Col. P.B. Barucha who was Principal till 1939 when he was appointed Inspector General of Civil Hospitals, Punjab and was succeeded by Lt. Col. A.M. Dick as Principal. Lt. Col. Mirajker took the Chair of Surgery and It. Col. B.S. Nat became Professor of Operative Surgery. Lt. Col. Barucha had served the College with distinction as Professor of Anatomy and later as Professor of Surgery Lt. Col. Dick retired in 1941 and was succeeded by Lt. Col. V. R. Mirajker who retired as Principal in 1941.
In April 1942 Lt. Col. N. S. Hayes took over as Principal and continued until 10 December 1944 when he died in harness. Lt. Col. Hayes had served the college with distinction first as Professor of Physiology and then as Professor of Midwifery and Gynecology.
Lt. Col. S. Sargood Fry 1944-1947
The Midwifery and Gynecology Museum at the Lady Willingdon Hospital is a permanent reminder of his great services. Lt. Col. Hayes was succeeded by Lt. Col. A. Sargood Fry as Principal and Dr. M. Black assumed charge as Professor of Midwifery and Gynecology on the 2od. February, 1945.
Lt. Col. S.H. Hayes 1942-1944
Lt. Col. Fry went on leave preparatory to retirement in June 1947 and was succeeded by Lt. Col. B.S. Nat. Dr. Amir ud Din was appointed Professor of Clinical Surgery on transfer from Amritsar and Lt. Col. S.M.K. Mallick who was Principal and Professor of Medicine in Glancy Medical College Amritsar was appointed as Professor of Medicine in place of Dr. Yar Muhammad Khan who retired on the 30th April, 1947.
Lt. Col. B.S. Nat
Drs. Shujaat Ali, Riyaz-i.Qadeer, M.A. Pirzada and A. Hamid Sheikh took over as Professor of Physiology, Clinical Surgery, Clinical Medicine and Pathology respectively. Dr. M. Bashir was Professor of Ophthalmology Ear, Nose,& Throat and Dr. Amir ud Din took over as Professor of Surgery. Lt. Col. lllahi Bakhsh remained Principal from 1947 until his retirement except for a short period in 1955 when Lt. Col. S.M.K. Mallick was Principal
Note: Information provided here are for general knowledge purpose only. There is no guarantee of accuracy. For up-to-date and accurate information please visit relevant official web site.
PakMed InfoForum contains more than 50,000 educational & biomedical articles/news items added in the recent two years making it one of the largest educational & biomedical information websites. In the following you can find the links to about 100 recently added articles or news items.